Monday, May 17, 2010

Auckland and closing thoughts - Last Day





Hey Ya

Yes this is the end please start from the bottom and work your way up.

Well I'm sitting back on my computer with my New Zealand All blacks shirt with old style version black with the white collar,with some extra weight and a new appreciation with high speed unlimited wifi internet trying to finish this blog on my last day off before we zoom back into life in Vancouver

Our last flight from Queenstown took us to the big city, Auckaland city of Sails. We decided to skip the Musuem and park and hang out by the watefront area downtown. We gave in to a high priced lunch at a restaurant called Degree upon recommendation from one of the local sports stores that there steak was just excellent. I got the $30NZ dollar fillet with chips, which gave me a 22G raw juicy looking fillet cooked on the stone similar to the stone grill here. It was delicious.

We decided to hit up the infamous Skytower, a 1076 ft tall tower that is touted as one of the tallest standing structures in the Southern Hemisphere. I tapped into the student discount for about $18 and that gave me a pass to the Skydesk which gave unbelievable 360 unobstructed views of Auckland. Part of the floors were constructed of glass that they claimed were as strong as concrete. It gave me the a cheap thrill to jump on the glass portion being able to see the ground from 1000 ft high with some slight chance that I could fall. We took some creative shorts against the glass.

Everything closed at 5pm and we walked past the Duty Free store Galleria (wished I stopped in) and back to the waterfront. I nejoyed my last mince pie in front of the water front and enjoyed the awesome day in front of the water and the boats and imagined as one of the fortunate people that get to wake up everyday from the condo patios and enjoy that view.

We enjoyed the hospitality of a co-workers parents for the night where we enjoyed an awesome view of downtown in the Northshore neighborhood.

We had only spent 11 days in New Zealand, but it had made an impression on me as a beautiful unspoiled Country with beautiful areas that have to be seen to be fully enjoyed. Great steaks, food, Sauvignon Blanc, Land of many cows/lamb, great pies, beautiful stylish women with sexy, accents, adventure, and a similar life and culture to Vancouver on the other side of the world.



This is Greg signing off on my first travel blog.

1 comment: