Monday, May 3, 2010

Monday May 3rd 2010 - Culture in Rotorua and a 6 hour hike completed at the Tongariro Alphine Crossing








Yesterday we had a fun filled day. We exchanged our agile blue compact for what I thought was a Jeep Liberty, but instead got a Hyundai Tusan 4 wheel drive SUV. Still a more powerful spacious car.




Tip: Try not to deal with Europcar in small towns. I found out they didn't even have a counter at the airport. I had to call them and dealt with a hotel cleaner lady that was filling in. Thankfully she was nice and I got the transaction done. I had a good experience with Hertz, but found out after the fact that Hertz will charge you an extra day for being 1 hour past the time you took out the car, but Avis will charge you an hourly rate for 3 hours over the time you took it.

Last night the Maori Village experience at Takami was good, but the dance and the experience reminded me of the the Hawaiin Luaua with the dancing and the buffet at the end. In fact, skipping ahead I learned the Tao Pei park that the Maori and Hawain people may share a similar origin and culture so there is something to that.

Tip: Use a student discount to save $25 on the ticket price ($75) and get a coupon from the AA booklet for 50% off all drinks at the hangi (buffet). I got a bottle of sauvingnon blanc for $15NZ!.

We went to see the Geo Thermal Park and Geysers at Tao Pei for about $40 (sorry no student discount) We had a knowledgeable well spoken guide, which made a difference. We learned about Maori history, geothermal power, saw a kiwi, and got to see an actual geyser. In short, its worth the visit.

After we decided to fit in some time at the Polynesian Spa for some time in the 7 hot baths for about $20. Not bad, bad but if pressed for time I recommend the Geo Thermal park.


The Best 1 day Hike in New Zealand ?

We took the 3 hour drive to Howards Lodge at the Tangariro National Park for what has been called the "best day hike in New Zealand" We stopped at lake Taupo for a coffee as I was sleepy after the hot water spa and discovered a good and cheap thai takeout restaurant. We got the chicken panang rice for $9NZ. We arrive at Howard Lodge and decided to spend two nights.

I was anxious and excited and woke up early at 6:45am for our 7:30am egg, sausage, bacon, toast, and coffee breakfast. We got the combo which includes 2 nights, breakfast, lunch, transport to the hiking area for about $129 NZ. Tip: come prepared with your hiking boots, sunscreen, hikin poles, dry fit sweat shirt, wind proof jacket, and gloves.

We finished breakfast and bus took off at 8am. This was my first hike since Peru and wasn't sure what expect. To sum the hike at the Tongariro Alphine Crossing. It's a challenging 1 day hike with plenty of adventure, and mixture of terrain, and inspiring background. The trail had everything. We saw everything from volcanic rocks, steep windy mountain summits at 2000M, a beautiful emerald lake, scenic trails with views of the lake, and forest terrain. Oh and I could see some terrain and landscape that would be fitting for a movie. I didn't have a chance to see Lord of the Rings before, but I understand some of the terrain was backdrop during the movie. Our bus was to pick us up at 4:30pm and we barely made it because of too many breaks and horsing around the the camera video function and free styling on my tpain program on my iphone. I was proud of my sister Candice for finishing her first challenging hike. Rest up and stretch the legs for a drive to Wellington to take our Jetstar flight to ChristChurch tomorrow. I recommend trying the hike once in your lifetime if you are in New Zealand

No comments:

Post a Comment